Chutney is a term for a variety of sweet and spicy condiment usually involving fresh, chopped primary vegetable or fruit with added seasonings.
Mango Chutney is a product prepared from washed, clean, unripe green mango fruits (Mangifera Mica) which have been peeled and are sliced, chopped, shredded or comminuted, then heat processed with basic ingredients before or after being sealed in containers to prevent spoilage.
Estimated Investment Cost (in Php based on 2009 prices)
A. Cost of Utensils/Equipment:
- Electric peeler -2,500.00
- Kitchen aide mandoline slicer – 3,000.00
- Chopping board – 150.00
- Bowl – 100.00
- Measuring cup – 75.00
- Boiling pan - 200.00
- Weighing scale- 200.00
- Subtotal - P6,225.00
B. Packaging Material:
- Sterilized glass jar with cap – 12.94
- Cap sealer (100 pcs/P25) - 0.25
- Subtotal – P13.19
C. Raw Materials/Ingredients:
- Green mangoes*, 6 pcs
- Ginger, 1 segment
- Garlic, 1 head
- Native onions, 20 pcs
- Hot pepper, 2 pcs
- Sweet green and red peppers, 2 pcs each
- Raisins, 1 small box
- Vinegar, 1 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar, 5 cups or 1,200 gram
- Salt, 5 tsp
- Total for estimated 3.5 (12 oz) bottles - P176.80
- Cost perl (12 oz.) bottle - P50.51
Varies due to season, climate change, among others
- Wash, peel, trim, and slice ginger and pepper into long, thin strips.
- Peel onions and cut into quarters.
- Peel garlic and slice into halves.
- Peel mangoes and slice thinly.
- Measure for every cup of sliced mangoes. Use 1/4 cup vinegar, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp. salt.
- Boil the vinegar mixture until very thick.
- Add mango slices and cook until transparent
- Add the rest of the ingredients except raisins, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add raisins before removing from the fire.
- Pack in sterilized glass jars while hot.
- Pasteurize for 25 minutes.
Estimated Costing and Pricing
A. Direct cost
- Raw materials/ingredients (50.51 x 56 bottles x 22 days) - 62,228.32
- Packaging material (P13.19 x 56 bottles x 22 days) - 16,250.08
- Labor cost (P18/day x 22 days) - 4,000.00
- Total direct cost for 1,232 bottles – P82,478.40
B. Indirect cost
- Water consumption - 200.00
- LPG (P500/2 months) - 250.00
- Electricity - 500.00
- Total indirect Direct Cost - P950.00
C. Production cost (A+B) – 83,428.40
D. Product pricing
- Production cost per 12 oz. bottle - 67.72
- 10% mark-up of production cost - 6.77
- Selling price per bottle (12 oz) - P74.49
Market price of Mango Chutney – from P66.00 (8 oz. bottle) to P110.00 (16 0z. bottle), as of March 2009.
- Business name registration (www.bnrs.dti.gov.ph)
- Mayor’s/Business Permit (check your local municipality/city)
- BIR TIN (www.bir.gov.ph)
- BFAD Certificate (www.bfad.gov.ph)
- People’s Credit and Finance Corp (www.pcfc.gov.ph)
- Small Business Corp. ( 751-1888)
- Other Financing Institutions (loans.mixph.com)
Technical Assistance (Training and Seminar)
- DA-BPI ( 524-0779/7909/7678)
- DTI-PTTC (www.pttv.gov.ph)
- DTI-PDDCP (www.info.om.ph)
- DOST R&D ( www.itdi.dost.gov.ph)
- Other training centers
Source of packaging materials:
- Synergos Management Inc – (02) 712-7030, 711-0257
source: DTI-PTTC, photo from caribbeanpot.com