- 1 to 1.2 kg Chicken, dressed, whole
- 1 T Refined salt
- 1/2 cup Calamansi juice
- 2 T Soy sauce
- 1 T Honey
- 1/2 t Ground black pepper
- Tanglad (lemon grass)
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/4 t Vetsin (MSG)
- 1 T Isolate
- 1 t BF Blend
- Wash chicken well and pluck off pin feathers, if any.
- Rub the stomach cavity of the chicken with refined salt.
- Combine calamansi juice, soy sauce, honey, ground black pepper and MSG, Isolate and BF Blend in a bowl.
- Pour marinade over chicken and carefully rub against chicken. Make sure to rub marinade between the skin and the flesh.
- Marinade chicken overnight inside the refrigerator, turning chicken occasionally for an even marination.
- Remove chicken from the marinade.
- Tie the lemon grass in a bunch. Stuff inside the chicken.
- Get a piece of strong string and tie wings and legs close to the body.
- If the oven has a rotisserie, carefully skewer chicken using the big metal skewer that comes with the oven, starting from the tail end and letting the skewer out through just below the neck. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Carefully place metal skewer on the slots. Have a baking pan underneath to catch the drippings.
- Turn on the rotisserie and roast chicken for 1 1/2 hours, occasionally brushing the chicken with vegetable oil to prevent it from drying.
- Chicken is cooked if juices coming out of the chicken are no longer pinkish in color and the skin is golden brown.
- If using a turbo broiler, place chicken, breast side up on the rack of the turbo broiler. Set the temperature at 350°F and cook for 30 minutes. Check chicken after the cooking time. Brush with oil to prevent drying up. Increase temperature to 375°F and cook chicken for another 15 minutes or until the skin turns golden brown and there are no pink juices coming from the chicken.
- Remove lemon grass from the stomach cavity and cut up chicken into 9 pieces and serve immediately with lechon sauce.
For meat processing ingredients and training, contact:
Spices & Foodmix House
Nutrition Foundation of the Philippines Bldg.
107 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Quezon City
Tel: (02) 411-1349, 742-0826/7866
source: Ms. Lulu Rivera of UEC, DTI-PTTC, photo from isayslife.wordpress.com