Wine and prunes are only two of the delicious products we can enjoy in the processing of cashew fruits. But we can truly get pleasure from them if we know how they are made and it’s really not as difficult as you think! Check out the ingredients, the utensils used and the step by step procedure in wine making and candying the cashew fruits.
The apples will undergo reverse osmotic process to extract the juice and the juice will have to undergo the process of fermentation to produce the wine. The product is yellowish-brown in color and becomes reddish brown upon aging. It contains ten to twelve percent ethyl alcohol.
- Chopping board, Knife, Measuring spoon
- Weighing scale, Stove
- Strainer, Stainless casserole/vat, Stainless ladle, Glass/plastic funnel
- Fermenting bottles, Fermenting jars, Cheese cloth
- 1 kilogram fresh cashew apples
- 96 grams refined sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/4 cup egg white
- Select ripe cashew apples.
- Wash and weigh.
- Trim both ends of the apples and slice into four equal parts.
- Weigh sliced apples.
- Add sugar equivalent to 12% of cashew weight.
- Soak the mixture for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the pulp and set aside the juice extracted for fermentation.
B. Alcoholic fermentation:
- Transfer the juice to fermenting bottle/jar about 3/4 full.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon yeast.
- Shake bottle in circular motion.
- Plug on cotton at the mouth of the bottle/jar.
- Set aside for two to four weeks.
- Siphon/decant the clarified wine.
- Mix egg white and pasteurize to 50-60°C for three minutes.
- Pack in bottle and cover with cap bottle/jar.
- Age to desired year.
- Chill before serving.
Will I really earn almost half the money I’m going to invest on cashew wine?
Come on! I’ll take you to the world of Cashew business. It’s really not that difficult. You can even do this right at your doorstep! Let’s start small with twenty-five bottle.
Think about this. The total amount needed to buy the materials for a twenty-five bottle cashew wine is only about P442.75. Let’s say you invite two of your friends to help you out on weekends and they get P100.00 each to prepare the wine. That’s more fun than bumming around doing nothing, right? So, you pay P200.00 for your labor cost. Adding them all up, we get a production cost of P642.75. Hmmm, that should just be somewhere in your piggy bank, or maybe you can discuss this amount with your parents at home. This shouldn’t be that much (Just make sure to show them it’s really worth it!). Okay, now, if you sell each bottle for P38.50, and you get that charisma going, you should sell all those twenty-five bottles worth P962.50. Simply deduct the production cost and you’ve just earned P320.25. That’s almost half the amount you used to start your small business! You don’t believe it? See for yourself. For cost and analysis table, click here
For more information, contact:
DA-BPRE, CLSU Compound
Science City of Munoz, Nueva Ecija
Tel: (044) 4560-213/290/282/287
source: DA-BPRE, wpu.edu.ph, photo from travelpod.com, thepanamanews.com