This feasibility study (The Egg Module) is a replicable business model that details the establishment and operation of a poultry egg production business. This plan has been created by volunteer experts specifically for villages in the least developed parts of the world. By empowering villages with the knowledge of how to produce eggs they will be able to break the cycle of extreme poverty by improving their nutrition and developing their economies.
The focus of this business module is to create a poultry egg production business that will achieve the following objectives:
- Empower villages in the developing world to become small poultry egg producers.
- Research and understand market conditions in project villages.
- Create a successful and sustainable enterprise.
- Replicate the module.
- Increase protein consumption and ensure food security in the community.
- Develop local economy with the introduction of scale-optimized egg production.
- Facilitate knowledge transfer and management oversight through partnership with private-sector organizations.
- Achieve positive cash flow once the layers begin production cycle.
Long Term Objectives
In addition, the following strategic objectives have been set:
- Empower youth and the community leaders through creation of a poultry business.
- Channel business profits to help fund other village facilities, such as schools or orphanages.
- Improve environmental, agricultural, and business awareness and understanding in the area.
- Facilitate a transition from subsistence farming toward commercial production.
Table of Contents
- Executive summary (overview, immediate goals, long term objectives)
- Project description (steps, serve)
- Local market research
- Financial analysis (design experiment cash flow forecasting, excel cash flow model, financial projection summary)
- Business plan customization (partners, fund raising)
- Poultry coop design (design considerations, coop architectural designs, building cost estimates)
- Operations (bird selection, feed supply, veterinary care, training)
- Expansion (phase 1, phase 2, phase 3)
- Legal – an operating partnership
- Appendix (local market questions, additional background questions, layer performance graph, feed consumption)
Download the full 34-page manual here
source: www.practicalaction.org, photo from thehindubusinessline.com