Menudo is an old-fashioned recipe which is normally served for fiesta, carinderia and special occasions. Pork and chicken are the varieties of meat that are being used for this recipe. For every preparation, one kilogram of meat is used in the amount of Php 150 per kilogram which can produce a yield of 12-14 serving portions.
The use of Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) Chunks (from Legacy USA) can bring down the cost of the recipe by 50%, by including 150 grams of TVP hydrated with 300 cc of water for three minutes. The hydrated TVP chunks can bring down the cost of the meat by 50% but the number of serving portions is still 12 – 14.
Textured Vegetable Protein is low in cholesterol, high in protein and low in cost. We are inviting the home-makers, canteen owners and carinderia owners to use TVP chunks for various recipes using cubed meat.
The most popular menudo is one that is made of pork with pork liver, potatoes, garbanzos and tomato sauce. Menudo has so many versions but this time it is prepared with only 500 gms. pork, 200 gms. liver and extended with flakes of textured vegetable protein to bring down the cost per serving portion of the recipe. This is urgently needed by housewives, restaurants and caterers
Meat material :
- 500 g Pork, paypay or kasim or pigue with fat cut into 2 cm cubes
- 200 g Chicken liver, cut into 2 cm cubes
Extenders (hydration process):
- 150 g TVP chunks
- 1 1/2 cups (300 cc) water for hydrating TVP for 3 minutes
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil (non-cholesterol)
- 2 tbsp Garlic, crushed
- 3 pcs Onions, chopped
- 70 g Tomato paste
- 250 ml Tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 cube Pork bouillion (dissolve in 1 cup water)
- 1 tbsp Salt refined or iodized
- 1 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Whole pepper
- 1 can Liver spread
- 1 tbsp Sugar, refined
- 2 pcs Bay leaves
- 1 pc Red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 pc Green bell pepper cut into strips
- 3 pcs Potatoes, medium sized, diced
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- 1/2 tsp Beef aroma
- 1/2 tsp Meaty ginisa
- Heat cooking oil. Saute garlic and onions, then add pork. Add tomato paste or tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, & brown sugar.
- Mix 1 cup of water with bouillion. Add hydrated TVP chunks, season with salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients including the liver.
- Serve hot.
Number of serving portions 12 to 15
Notes : TVP chunks (hydrated form) brings down the cost of the meat. Protein content of TVP in hydrated form is 16-21% which is comparable to meat.
You can buy all meat processing ingredients at:
Ultima Entrepinoy Forum Center
Nutrition Foundation of the Philippines Bldg.
#107 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Quezon City
Tel: 411-1349; 742-0826; 742-7866
See also: Meat Processing Business
author: Lourdes G. Rivera of Marid Digest, photo fromflickr.com