Tofu is the Japanese name for soybean curd. It has a high protein content and is rich in iron, calcium and B vitamins. Tofu is available in various forms. Silken bean curd is the softest and is best for mashing, blending for dips, dressings and sauces.
Firm bean curd is a heavily pressed version with a dense texture like firm cheese. Firm bean curd can be cubed, sliced and marinated. It is a great low-calorie replacement for meat in stir-fries, stews and casseroles. Bean curd has no flavor of its own but absorbs the flavor of sauces in which it is cooked or marinated.
Tofu is low in calories, contains beneficial amounts of iron (especially important for women of child-bearing age) and has no saturated fat or cholesterol. Depending on the coagulant used in manufacturing, the tofu may also be high in calcium (important for bone development and maintenance), and magnesium (especially important for athletes). Tofu also contains soy isoflavones, which can mimic natural human estrogens and may have a variety of harmful or beneficial effects when eaten in sufficient quantities.
- 500 g soybeans
- 60 g CaS04, food grade (calcium sulfate)
- 2.5 L water
- grinder or blender basting spoon
- stove plastic basin
- stainless casserole knife
- weighing scale cheesecloth (1 yard)
- tokwa press
- Weigh 500 grams soybeans.
- Soak in clean water for 6 hours.
- Wash and remove the hulls.
- Grind the soybeans adding water at a time till the volume is 2.5 liters.
- Strain in cheesecloth (katsa).
- Boil the soymilk for 10 minutes.
- Cool to 55°C to 60°C.
- Add 60 grams of food grade CaS04.
- Transfer to a cheesecloth-lined tokwa mold.
- Press for 1 hour, enough weight to squeeze out the excess water to form a solid tokwa.
- Remove from press and slice to desired size.
- Pack in plastic bags, seal and store in refrigerator.
For more information, contact:
Industrial Technology Development Institute
DOST Compound, Gen. Santos Ave., Bicutan, Taguig City
Tel Nos.: (632) 8372071 to 82 locs 2182, 2218, 2180
Telefax Nos.: (632) 8373167, 8376150, 8376156
source: dost.gov.ph, annecollins.com, wikipedia.org, photo from standardfirst.com