Healthy burgers now are preferred for business by replacing backfat with ground mushrooms to make the hamburger juicy and higher in yield. Beef, pork and chicken are in the amount of 70% or 700 grams per kilo and 30% (30 grams) to replace the backfat.
Mushroom burger is a business which you can start in your kitchen. An initial investment of around P1,000 is enough to start a good business.
One (1) kilo of mushroom burger will give a yield of 1800 grams.
Patties could be prepared in various weights: 30 grams, 40 grams, 50 grams and 100 grams (for steak burger). You can use either fresh or dried mushrooms that are readily available in the supermarkets.
Other organic fibers are also added like bamboo fiber, soy protein and other plant fibers are added to increase the yield and bring down the cost of the product.
Hamburger sandwiches with 30 grams patty could be sold at P12.00; 40 grams patty for P15.00, and 100 grams patty for steak burger at P40.00 with rice and sauces included.
- 700 g Beef lean or pork lean, ground finely
- 300 g Mushroom, ground
Curing Mix (dissolved in 1/4 cup water):
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt, refined
- 1 tsp Phosphate
- 1/4 cup TVP
- 1/4 cup Qualicel
- 1/2 cup Versagel
- 1 1/2 cup water if beef or 1 1/4 cup if pork or chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar, refined
- 1 tbsp Black pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp Garlic, chopped (or 2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp Vetsin (MSG)
- 1/2 tsp Meat enhancer
- 3/4 cup Onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp Celery powder
- 2 tsp Hamburger seasoning
- 3 tbsp Milk or whey powder
- 2 pcs Egg, fresh medium
The following ingredients should be added in the last mixing:
- 1/2 cup Bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp Potato starch
- 1/2 tsp Beef aroma
- 1/2 tsp Meaty ginisa
- 1 tsp BF blend
- Select good quality raw materials. Grind meat and mush room finely.
- Add salt and phosphate (dissolve in 1/4 cup water). Mix until tacky.
- Add extenders: TVP, Versagel and Qualicel. Mix again until homogenous mixture is attained.
- Add seasonings and remix.
- To attain firm patties, chill mixture for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Form into the patties with the use of hamburger molder
- (50 grams per patty), i kg. should contain 20 pieces. For 30 grams patty – i kg. should contain 33 pieces.
- Freeze patties before packing. Store in freezer. Cook with little amount of fat.
Yield: i kg. = 1.5 to 1.8 kgs.
You can buy all meat processing ingredients above at:
Spices and Food Mix House
107 E. Rodriguez Ave., Quezon City
Phone: 742-7866/0826, 411-1349
author: Lourdes S. Rivera, Marid Digest, photo from Robert J. Steiner, streetdirectory.com