There are different kinds of ham prepared in the Philippines in various ways like Chinese style ham, American ham, quick-cured ham or sweet ham, chicken ham, rolled ham and mini chicken ham. Lourdes S. Rivera, the guru of meat processing in the Philippines, is introducing a new type of healthy ham with soy protein named star ham.
- 700 g Pork pigue, boneless, skinless, ground coarsely
- 300 g Pork backfat, ground coarsely
Curing Mix Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp Salt, refined
- 1/2 tsp Curing salt
- 1 tsp Phosphate
- 1/4 tsp Vitamin C powder
- 1/2 cup Chilled water (to dissolve the above 4 ingredients)
- 1 tbsp Isolate
- 1 tsp Carageenan
- 1/2 tsp Pro plus
- 1/4 cup Chilled water
- 2-1/4 tbsp Sugar, refined
- 1/2 tsp Meat enhancer
- 1/2 tsp Vetsin (MSG)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp Ham spice
- 1 tsp BF blend
- Chill meat and backfat before grinding. Grind pork and backfat using a coarse plate.
- Measure or weigh all ingredients. Mix meat with backfat and mix with curing mix until tacky. Add hydrated extenders little by little until well blended. Finally, add the seasonings. Mix well.
- Put this mixture in ham powder molder and steam for 1 hour. Cool.
- Remove ham from mould package (pear shaped or star shaped).
- Caramelize with brown sugar. Cool. Package.
Yield: 1 kg.
All above mentioned meat processing ingredients are available at:
Spices and Food Mix House
107 E. Rodriguez Ave., Quezon City
Phone: 742-7866/0826, 411-1349
See also: Meat Processing Business
author: Lourdes S. Rivera, Marid Digest