- ½ cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ½ pack dessicated coconut
- 2 tsp.vanilla
- 3/4 cup grated squash
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar gradually while stirring.
- Add eggs one by one constantly stirring after adding each eggs.
- Add the condensed milk.
- Add the dessicated coconut, squash, vanilla, and mix well.
- Put in muffin molds lined with paper or aluminum foil.
- Cook in oven at 350°C for half an hour.
KALCOSUMAN (Squash Suman)
- ½ cup malagkit rice
- 2 cups grated squash
- 1 ½ cups ordinary rice
- 1/3 cup latik
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (second extraction)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- banana leaves
- Soak overnight: rice and malagkit and grind on the following day.
- Soak the ground rice and malagkit in coconut milk until soft.
- Add the sugar and squash.
- Cook over low fire, constantly stirring until thick. Cool.
- Prepare the leaves for wrapping by heating over low fire. Brush the leaves with butter.
- Put two tablespoonful of the mixture in every wrap, put latik on top of each before closing.
- Tie with string and cook for half an hour in a double boiler container.
KALABASA PAN DE SAL
- 12% flour from squash
- 88% ordinary flour
- yeast, salt (pinch), oil and sugar as in ordinary bread
- Melt the yeast in warm water and leave it for 8-10 minutes.
- Mix together: squash flour, ordinary flour and oil. Beat with a Hobart mixer (Speed 2) for 6 minutes while adding sugar and salt. Leave it for one-half hour.
- Knead the dough and roll to form pieces of pandesal.
- Put in oven and cook like ordinary bread.
SQUASH CORN CHIPS
- Squash Oil
- Corn flour Sugar or salt
- Peel the squash, cut into fine pieces.
- Steam and grind.
- Mix squash and corn flour in the following proportions:
- 7 parts squash (70%)
- 3 parts corn (30%)
- Add flavoring and sugar (or salt).
- Steam for 15 minutes.
- Pass through a noodle machine at 1.2 cm. chips.
- Dry the resulting chips on a forced draft at 65°C – 70°C for 2 ½ hours. This will last for six weeks if packed in plastic bags and ten weeks if packed in laminated packs.
source: elgu2.ncc.gov.ph, photo from hhmidtownbagelseast.com, mbweb.alchemy.com.ph, andthesethygifts.com, thebankofmexicanfood.com