Recipe #1: Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups grated raw papaya
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Black ground pepper
- 1 tsp. Finely chopped fresh ginger
- Mix grated papaya, carrot and sweet red pepper in a deep glass bowl. Set aside.
- Boil the vinegar, sugar, ginger, salt and pepper uncovered in a cooking pan for 2 – 4 minutes.
- Pour the vegetables mixture cover for 5 – 8 minutes, then remove from the pan to a glass bowl , let it cool and then refrigerate.
Note: To grate raw papaya, peel off skin and cut lengthwise into four pieces – discard seeds. Wash papaya, dry and grate using a cheese grater.
Recipe #2 Ingredients:
- 1 2-lb. green papaya, about 4 1/2 cups shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced (crosswise) shallots
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced thinly crosswise, centers discarded
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup carrots, thinly sliced or cut decoratively, or julienned
- 1 1 1/2-inch piece ginger, julienned
- 1/4 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or canned, halved if you want
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- Peel the papaya and discard seeds. Shred using the small holes of a six-sided grater or the fine-shredding disc of a food processor.
- Put the shredded papaya in a bowl, sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt and toss. Let sit for an hour or so, then squeeze the papaya by the handfuls, discarding the juice.
- Bring vinegar, sugar and salt to the boil in a saucepan. You can use white distilled vinegar. What you are trying to achieve is a nice balance of sour to sweet to salty, with sweet and sour dominating.
- When the mixture reaches the boil, stir with a whisk until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Put everything in a large bowl, pour the vinegar mixture on top and combine well.
- Refrigerate, covered, and let cure for a day or so before serving.
source: epilipinas.com, noodlesandrice.com, photo from tv3.cat