A detergent is a kind of soap used for cleaning utensils. Detergent soaps are effective for cleaning utensils made of metal such as spoon, forks and pans. Detergents can be in powder form (powdered detergent). When dissolved, powdered detergents become liquid detergents.
The quantity of the ingredients in the following formula is enough to produce one kilo of liquid detergent. All of these ingredients are available in stores selling chemicals.
|Qty (grams)||%to total Weight|
|table salt or sodium chloride||5-10||0.5-1|
- graduated cylinder
- stainless steel container and electric mixer
- mixing bowl or small pail
- Using a graduated cylinder, measure 80-130g SLES. Measure also 772-830g water.
- Transfer the SLES to a beaker and add a little water. Stir the SLES very well.
- Add 50g CDEA to the SLES. Mix well with a stirrer.
- Continue stirring the mixture until it becomes creamy. Add water once in a while to prevent the mixture from foaming while stirring.
- Meanwhile, dissolve 30g of STPP in a little amount of water. Mix well and set aside.
- If the CDEA-SLES mixture is already creamy, transfer it to a small pail or a stainless steel container. Add a little amount of water while stirring continuously.
- Transfer the mixture to the mixer then switch on. When the mixture is already foamy, add the dissolved STPP slowly while mixing continuously.
- Dissolve the salt in a little amount of water. Add this ti the mixture, which is being mixed continuously.
- Next, add 5-8ml lemon drops as fragrance.
- Continue mixing until the mixture thickens. Set aside.
- Once thickened, pour the mixture into a clean container and set aside for about 2 hours.
- When there are no more suds, pour the liquid detergent into clean bottles.
- The liquid detergent can be used after 24 hours.
LIQUID LAUNDRY SOAP
The liquid laundry soap maybe used in hand or machine washing. That’s why it’s called a laundry soap. In making liquid laundry soap, it is important to thoroughly boil the lye solution so that it will become clean and clear.
In this mixture, the quantity of the ingredients to be used is food for 2 liters of liquid laundry soap.
|Qty (ml)||%to total Weight|
|water||428-432||21.4 – 21.6|
|CDEA||1-2||0.5 – 0.1|
|lemon essential oil||2-5||0.1 – 0.25|
- weighing scale
- basin or a big pail
- stainless steel container and electric mixer
- plastic bottles (to serve as container for the liquid laundry soap)
A. Making the Lye Solution – The proportion of one liter lye concentrate solution is: 45% or 450ml caustic potash and 55% or 550ml water.
- Weigh the 450ml caustic potash accurately and dissolve this in 550ml water. Mix well in a pail. This is the lye solution.
- Place the pail with the lye solution on a big pail containing hot water so that the solution becomes slightly warm. This is called the bano de maria. Allow to cool.
B. Making the Soap
- Mix one liter of coconut oil and 560ml lye solution in the stainless steel container of the electric mixer.
- When the mixture is already slightly blended, transfer the stainless container to the stove. Continue mixing while the mixture is being boiled or until its temperature reaches 180Â°F. Switch off the stove to maintain the 180Â°F temperature.
- Meanwhile, mix the EDTA with a little water in a separate container. Then add this to the mixture on the stove.
- Slowly add 428 to 432ml of boiling water to the mixture while stirring it continuously.
- Continue stirring the mixture for one hour until it becomes clear.
- Allow 10-15 minutes to pass before adding th CDEA. The CDEA makes the soap produce more suds.
- Add 2-5ml of lemon fragrance to the liquid soap. Mix well.
- When all of the ingredients have been thoroughly mixed, switch off the stove and the electric mixer. Remove the stainless steel container from the stove and allow the liquid laundry soap to cool.
- When cooled, pour the soap into the plastic bottle. Before using the soap, set aside for some time to let the caustic soda lose its effect. The liquid laundry soap is now ready to use.
Part 1 – Introduction, Qualities of Soap, Basic Ingredients and Steps
Part 2 – Making Natural Laundry Bar Soap and Powdered Detergent
Part 3 – Making All-Purpose Liquid Cleaner and Dishwashing Paste
Part 4 – Making Herbal Bath Soap and Aloe Vera Shampoo
Part 5 – Making Liquid Detergent and Liquid Laundry Soap
Part 6 – Making Facial Cleanser
For more info, contact:
DOST Central Office
DOST Bldg. Gen. Santos Ave., Bicutan, Taguig
Telephone: (632) 837-20-71 to 82
Fax: (632) 837-8937
For training and seminars:
G/F TLRC Building
103 J. Abad Santos St.
Little Baguio, San Juan, M.M.
Tel: 727-6205 loc. 202 & 203
source: www.tlrc.gov.ph, photo from alibaba.com