Taho is just one of many soya products that have been dubbed as health food. Soya diet foods include silky, soft and hard tofu, beancurd skin, soybean paste, and soy ice cream, to name a few. High in protein, low in fat and absolutely low cost, soya products are staples of the Asian diet for ages. Now, the rest of the world’s catching up on the yummy delights and health benefits of soya.
- ½ kg soybeans
- 4 liters water
- 1 ½ – 2 pcs gulaman
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 kg brown sugar
- 1 ½ liter water
- 2 pcs colander
- 1 pc osterizer
- 2 pcs casserole
- 1 unit stove
- 2 pcs basin
- 2 yards cheesecloth
- Soak beans overnight.
- Grind finely while adding boiling water.
- Put soybean in a cheesecloth and squeeze out milk.
- Boil soymilk for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir and add gulaman.
- Allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- Pass the mixture through a cheesecloth then put in a molder.
- Cool and serve with syrup and sago.
- Soak soya beans for 30 mins. in topwater.
- Dehull the soya beans using your hands until skin of beans are peeled. see video
- Soak the soya beans for 8 hours with generous amount of water. After 8 hours, grind the soaked beans as fine as possible (you can use a blender), then cooked it and let it boil in 180 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Drain the cooked soya beans to separate the soya milk to the soy pulp. Make sure you squeeze all the soya pulp for excess soya milk.(you can use a fine piece of cloth) see video
- Then apply a coagulating powder (such as food-grade calcium sulfate, magnesium chloride, or nigari). Stir one or twice until gel-like form is achieved.
For the Taho/Tawa syrups:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Dissolve sugar in water and let it boil for 5 minutes. Use more sugar and cook longer if you want thicker syrup.
- 10 ounces (1 1/4 cup) sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice OR vinegar OR 1/2 lemon
Boil sugar and water. Add lemon or vinegar and set aside.
- For a thin, strong ginger syrup:
- 8 ounces fresh ginger
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar OR to taste
Grate ginger. In a sauce pan, combine ginger, water and sugar. On low heat, simmer and sugar to dissolve. Strain before serving.
An alternative for ginger syrup is ginger powder which you can buy at grocery store. Make it about 4-8 times normal strength, add sugar to taste and simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
How to Make Home-Made Taho
source: mis.dost.gov.ph, tahoonline.info, photo from pinoydelikasi.com